Banner 3

The Clerk & Driver Examiner will be CLOSED on Monday, October 14 for Holiday

County Clerk & Recorder

The goal of the Lincoln County Clerk and Recorder's Office is to deliver services to Lincoln County residents through the use of applicable Colorado legislation and Secretary of State Rule, and to do so in the most judicious, cost efficient, and secure manner possible, while treating them with courtesy and respect.

Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m

719-743-2444 - Office
719-743-2524 - Fax

General Questions - Corinne Lengel">E-mail

103 3rd Avenue
PO Box 67
Hugo, CO 80821

Like us on Facebook!

Clerk & Recorder: Corinne M. Lengel

Chief Deputy: Mindy

Deputy County Clerk: Will

Deputy County Clerk: Wendy

Driver Examiner: Tim

Finance Director: Andrea

For the Record Clerk's Column

The office of the Clerk and Recorder is responsible for the following departments:


Lincoln County plat maps are available at the Clerk's Office, or by calling 1-402-494-8300


New Motor Vehicle System as of August 2018!

This includes titling and licensing of all new or used motor vehicles and trailers, filing of liens on said vehicles and trailers, printing of duplicate titles, registration of Special Mobile Machinery (SMM), registration renewals, issuance of persons with disabilities parking permits (handicap placards and plates), and issuance of temporary permits. Starting August 1, 2018 you must provide proof of address to title and/or register a motor vehicle. Proof can be any of the following: bill, bank statement or signed lease.

State-Printed Motor Vehicle Renewals

As of January 1, 2014, the State of Colorado began printing and mailing motor vehicle renewal cards in conjunction with the NCOA (National Change of Address) instituted by the U.S. Postal Service.  Due to this fact, if you have put in a change of address with the post office, Lincoln County registration records may no longer match, resulting in possible non-deliverance of your renewal cards. Please understand the county no longer has any control over these mailings and is not responsible for renewal cards not being delivered, or consequent late fees that may apply should you not receive your cards. 

Online Vehicle Registration - Renew your motor vehicle license plates on line!  Some restrictions may apply.

  • Proof of Insurance must be shown before vehicle registration will be issued.
  • 2.9% state sales tax, 2% county sales tax and 2% Hugo or Limon resident city sales tax will be collected on all new motor vehicle and trailer purchases.
  • All specialized license plates are not currently available.  Fees according to plate type.
  • Duplicate Title Fee - $8.20
  • Chattel Mortgage Recording Fee
    • $5.00 per page (letter or legal-sized paper)
    • $20.00 total fee if larger than letter or legal-sized
  • Colorado Dept. of Revenue
  • Effective March 1, 2011:
    C.R.S. 38-11-101 declares that multiple owners of vehicles must declare their intent to title the vehicle in Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship or Tenancy in Common. Every individual owner must acknowledge their choice and sign the new JOINT TENANCY WITH RIGHTS OF SURVIVORSHIP ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF INTENT form (DR 2395). The forms are available here or at the County Clerk’s office. Print and fill out the form with no erasures and submit it with your new title applications. If the DR2395 is not submitted, the title will be marked TENANCY IN COMMON. Call with questions.
  • Estimate Registration Fees!

    HVUT (Heavy Vehicle Use Tax)

    All vehicles over 8,000 pounds empty weight and all tractors must, by Federal law, declare a gross vehicle weight as a prerequisite to registration and/or renewal. If the GVW is 55,000 lbs. or more, compliance with the Federal HVUT must be attached to the county's renewal notice. Compliance may be either (1) Receipted copy of IRS Tax Form 2290/Schedule 1, or (2) IRS Tax Form 2290/Schedule 1 and photo copy of the front and back of the cancelled check to the IRS.


Documents relating to the sale and purchase of property, UCC Financing Statements, affidavits, oil and gas documents, marriage licenses, and DD214 – military discharge papers—are a few of the documents recorded in this office.

Important News: New Recording Fees Starting January 1, 2017
SB16-115 passed creating the Electronic Recording Technology Board. (ERTB) The ERTB has set an additional $2 electronic filing surcharge for a period of 5 years January 1, 2017 – December 31, 2021

In addition to the current $1 filing surcharge, the ERTB approved an additional $2 filing surcharge, bringing the total filing surcharge to $3 per recorded document

Starting on January 1, 2017 Colorado recording fees will be calculated as follows:

  1. $13 for the first page and $5 for each additional page for all recorded documents
  2. For every filing surcharge collected, a county will retain $1 and transfer $2 to the Electronic Recording Technology Fund
  3. The Electronic Recording Technology Fund will award grants to counties to establish, maintain, improve, or replace their electronic filing system

Questions? Phone: 719-743-2444                                                      E-Mail: Wendy Pottorff



Important Dates:

  • October 11 – First day mail ballot packets can be sent to eligible voters
  • October 12 – First day Limon Town Hall 24-hour drop box opens
  • October 18 – Deadline to send mail ballot packets to eligible voters
  • October 28 – Last day to submit an application to register to vote through the mail, a voter registration agency, a local driver license office, or online for clerk to send a mail ballot for the 2019 Coordinated Election
    • VSPCs (Voter Service and Polling Centers) open for the November 5 election
  • November 2 – Clerk’s office open from 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. (noon) for ballot drop-off or replacement, voter registration, address changes, etc.
  • November 5 – Coordinated Election (ballots must be received by 7:00 p.m.)
  • November 13 – Deadline to receive military and overseas (UOCAVA) ballots
    • Last day for a voter to cure a signature discrepancy on their mail ballot envelope

2018 General Election Results


Important Information:

The Lincoln County Courthouse, located at 103 3rd Avenue in Hugo, will be the only Voter Service and Polling Center (VSPC) location available for ballot drop-off and replacement, voter registration, or party affiliation and other voter registration changes.  Electors can always update their voter records by visiting, which is an extremely easy way to change an address or party affiliation.  Records updated through this method are received in the county clerk’s office and checked on a daily basis but must be done no later than eight days prior to Election Day.

VSPC hours of operation:   Monday through Friday, October 28, through November 5, from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.; Saturday, November 2, from 8:00 a.m. until noon; and Election Day (November 5) from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.

VSPC functions:   Voter registration, ballot drop-off, replacement ballots (if lost, spoiled, or never received), and changes to name, address, or party affiliation.

Make sure your vote counts!
The ballot you receive in the mail is your official election ballot. 

  • Vote your ballot, sign the affirmation on the return envelope, and return it via mail with proper postage.  Allow sufficient time for mail delivery.  Due to changes in postal service processing times and load-leveling, mail is not always processed and delivered on a daily basis.
  • Concerned we won’t receive your ballot on time?
    o   Drop your voted ballot off at the Lincoln County Clerk and Recorder’s office/VSPC at 103 3rd Avenue in Hugo until 7:00 p.m. on Election Day.  Ballots received after 7:00 p.m. do not count
    o   Use the 24-hour drop box located on the east side of the Limon Town Hall (the Police Department side).  Again, ballots received after 7:00 p.m. on Election Day will not count.
  • It is against the law for one party to drop off more than ten ballots on behalf of any other party in any election - 1-7.5-107 (4) (b) (1) (B), C.R.S.

Signing the affirmation on the return ballot envelope:  (1-7.5-107.3, C.R.S.)

  • Signatures on each return envelope are compared with the signature of the eligible elector stored in the statewide voter registration system.
  • If the signatures do not match, the county clerk must send a letter explaining the discrepancy to the voter (along with a form for the voter to confirm that he/she returned a ballot to the county clerk and recorder) within three days after confirming the signature deficiency.
  • If the clerk receives the confirmation form within eight days after Election Day, and if the ballot is otherwise valid, the ballot will be counted. 
  • If the voter returns the form indicating that he/she did not return a ballot to the county clerk and recorder, or if the voter does not return the form within eight days after Election Day, the self-affirmation on the return envelope shall be categorized as incorrect and the ballot will not be counted.
  • The county clerk and recorder shall send copies of the eligible voter’s signature on the return envelope and the signature stored in the statewide voter registration system to the district attorney for investigation. 
  • If a mail ballot envelope is not signed, the clerk must send a letter notifying the voter that he or she can affix a signature within eight calendar days after the election.

What if the voter cannot sign the affirmation for some reason?

  • A signature stamp is acceptable for the voter.
  • Power of Attorney is not acceptable; a POA is not recognized for voter registration, changes, or voting purposes. 
  • The voter needs to attempt to sign the affirmation as best as they can and have someone witness their signature on the witness line. 

1-13-106 C.R.S. - Forgery.  Any person who falsely makes, alters, forges, or counterfeits any ballot before or after it has been cast, or who forges any name of a person as a signer or witness to a petition or nomination paper, or who forges any letter of acceptance, declination, or withdrawal, or who forges the name of a registered elector to a voter’s mail-in or mail ballot commits forgery as set forth in section 18-5-102, C.R.S., and shall be punished as provided in section 18-1.3-401, C.R.S.

C.R.S. 1-13-705 - Personating elector.   Any person who falsely personates any elector and votes at any election provided by law under the name of such elector shall be punished by a fine of not more than five thousand dollars or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than eighteen months, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Election News


  1. All elections will be Mail Ballot Elections
  • Beginning July 1, 2013, all General, Primary, Congressional Vacancy, Coordinated, Odd-Year and Recall elections conducted by or coordinated with the County Clerk must be Mail Ballot elections
  1. Establishment of Voter Service and Polling Center (VSPC)
  • Coordinated (odd-year November) and Primary (even-year June) Elections require that counties with fewer than 25,000 active electors maintain one (1) VSPC
  • General Elections (even-year November) require that a minimum number of voter service and polling centers be designated as follows:
  • For counties with fewer than 10,000 active electors: during the period designated for early voting and on election day, at least one (1) VSPC
  • The Lincoln County VSPC will be in the county clerk’s office at the Lincoln County Courthouse – 103 3rd Avenue, Hugo, Colorado
  1.  Mail Ballot Drop-off Locations
  • Only counties with at least 25,000 active electors are required to provide stand-alone drop-off locations on the date of a General Election and on the Saturday and Monday immediately preceding the date of a General Election
  • Lincoln County will have two drop-off location for mail ballots:  
    • the county clerk’s office in the Lincoln County Courthouse, 103 3rd Avenue, Hugo, Colorado.
      • Hours of operation:  Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
    • NEW stand-alone drop-box on the east side of the Limon town hall at 100 Civic Center Drive, Limon, Colorado.
      • Open 24-hours a day beginning October 12.
  1.  Registration Requirements - Deadlines
  • An elector is permitted to vote in any Primary, Presidential, General, Coordinated, Special Legislative, Municipal, Congressional Vacancy, Special District or other election if he or she timely registers to vote before or on the date of such election
  • An elector may timely register to vote by:
    • Submitting an application through the mail, a voter registration agency, a local driver’s license office, or a voter registration drive NO LATER THAN twenty-two (22) days before the election, unless the twenty-second day is not a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, in which case the elector may register the next business day;
    • Registering through a high school registrar;
    • Using the on-line voter registration system through the eighth (8) day prior to an election;
    • Appearing in-person at the county clerk’s office during normal registration hours;
    • Appearing in-person at the Voter Service and Polling Center during normal hours of operation
  1.  Residency Requirements
  • Elector must have resided in the state of Colorado twenty-two (22) days immediately prior to the election at which the person intends to vote
  1.  Definitions:
  • Coordinated Election:  An election where more than one political subdivision with overlapping boundaries or the same electors holds an election on the same day, and the county clerk and recorder is the coordinated election official for the political subdivision
  • Primary Election:  The election held on the last Tuesday in June of each even-numbered year in which the names of the candidates are printed on the ballot along with their affiliation.  Electors must be registered with the political party by the first working day in January of the same year in order to vote for that party’s candidates.  Candidates who win their Primary elections will have their names placed on the General Election ballot to run against candidates of opposing parties 
  • General Election:  The election held on the Tuesday succeeding the first Monday of November in each even-numbered year.  Example: Presidential or Gubernatorial
  • Mail Ballot Election:  An election in which eligible electors receive ballots by mail and vote by returning their ballot via the U.S. Postal Service or depositing it at a Mail Ballot Drop-off Location or the county clerk’s office

Election FAQs

  1. Am I eligible to vote?

In order to determine your eligibility in upcoming elections, you can either visit, or contact the county clerk’s office at (719) 743-2444, PO Box 67, Hugo, CO 80821, or  You must have lived in the state of Colorado at least twenty-two (22) days prior to the election in order to vote on state and local issues. also has excellent information regarding any election questions you may have.

  1. How do I register?  What’s the deadline?

You have several options when it comes to registering to vote: 

  • You may submit an application through the mail, a voter registration agency, a local driver’s license office, or a voter registration drive NO LATER THAN twenty-two (22) days before the election, unless the twenty-second day is a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, in which case you have until the next business day following the Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday;
  • You may register through a high school registrar;
  • You may pick up an application at the Limon Town Hall, but it will need to be mailed to the Lincoln County Clerk, PO Box 67, Hugo, CO 80821;
  • You may use the on-line voter registration system at through the eighth (8) day prior to an election;
  • You may appear in-person at the county clerk’s office during normal registration hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday except for legal holidays); or
  • You may appear in-person at the Voter Service and Polling Center during normal hours of operation.
  1. What's on the ballot?

In accordance with the provisions of Section 1-5-102.9, 1-1-104 (34), 1-7.5-107 through 1-7.5-210, and 1-5-205 C.R.S. and Colorado Secretary of State Rule 7.9 I, Corinne M. Lengel, County Clerk and Recorder of Lincoln County, Colorado, do hereby give notice that a Coordinated Election will be held on November 5, 2019, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. The election will be a mail-in ballot election in accordance with HB13-1303. Ballots may be mailed to the Lincoln County Clerk and Recorder, P.O. Box 67, Hugo, CO 80821-0067, or delivered to the ballot drop-off location located in the clerk’s office at the Lincoln County Courthouse – 103 3rd Avenue, Hugo, Colorado, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday; on Saturday, November 2, 2019, between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. (noon); and on Election Day between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. This office is also the location for the Voter Service and Polling Center where eligible persons may register to vote or apply for an absentee or replacement ballot. Voters wishing to surrender their mail ballot and vote on electronic voting equipment must do so at the County Clerk’s office at 103 3rd Avenue in Hugo, Colorado, October 28, 2019, through November 5, 2019, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.; on Saturday, November 2, 2019, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. (noon); or on Election Day between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. A stand-alone ballot drop box is also located at the Limon town hall, 100 Civic Center Drive, Limon, Colorado, and is available 24-hours a day from 6:00 p.m. on October 11, 2019, through 7:00 p.m. on Election Day.
Sample ballots are available on the county website at
I, Corinne M. Lengel, Clerk and Recorder of Lincoln County in the State of Colorado, do hereby certify that the sample ballot posted in the County Clerk’s office and available on the county website is a true, complete, and correct list of the nominations of all persons to be voted for at the November 5, 2019, Coordinated Election, as the names appear on the original records and certificates now on file in my office. I further certify that the proposed amendments to the Constitution and the laws of the State of Colorado are complete and correct copies taken from the certification of the Colorado Secretary of State and that ballot issues and questions are true, complete, and correct copies taken from the certifications of the political subdivisions.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and affixed the seal of the County of Lincoln, State of Colorado, on this 27th day of September 2019.
Corinne M. Lengel
County Clerk & Recorder
Lincoln County, Colorado

Style 1

Style 2AF

Style 3GH

Style 4MY

  1. Where do I go to vote?
    Since new law (HB13-1303) requires that all elections beginning July 1, 2013, are conducted as mail ballot elections, ballots will be mailed to all active voters at the most current address on file in the voter registration system.  It is the voter’s responsibility to update their address if it changes.
  2. Can I vote on voting equipment even if I got a ballot in the mail?

Disabled Access Units are available in the county clerk’s office at the same time that mail ballots are sent out.  However, if you intend to use this option, you MUST surrender your mail ballot at the time that you come in to vote on the equipment.

  1. How do I know if my record is active?

You must contact the county clerk’s office to find out if you will automatically receive a ballot in the mail.  Inactive voters are still eligible to vote, but they must request a ballot from the clerk’s office.

  1. What do I do if I don’t receive a ballot in the mail?

Contact the county clerk’s office and ask if your record is active and what address we have on file for you.  Always make sure your address is updated prior to an election.  Changing your address on your driver’s license or vehicle registration does not automatically change your voter record.

  1. Do I need to provide ID to vote?

Only voters who have “ID” marked on their outer ballot envelope need provide ID with their mail-in ballot.  Please do not place the copy of ID inside the secrecy sleeve with your ballot if you are required to provide ID.

  1. What are the deadlines for military and overseas (UOCAVA) voters to return their ballots?

Ballots from military and overseas voters must be received in the county clerk’s office no later than eight days after the election, in order to be counted.  Only UOCAVA voters or voters who have received letters due to signature discrepancies are allowed additional time after Election Day.

  1.  What if I forget to sign my ballot envelope or my signature does not match what is on file?

Voters who neglect to sign their envelope or whose signatures do not match the records in the voter registration system will be contacted either to come in and sign the envelope, or affirm that they did in fact return their ballot.  Often, signatures change over time, and voters should try to remember to sign as closely as possible to the way they signed their registration form.

  1.  What if I accidentally use my spouse’s return envelope or vote my spouse’s ballot instead of my own?

This happens frequently.  Please contact the clerk’s office at (719) 743-2444 so that we can help you with this issue.

  1. How can I get results on election night?

You can view the results here or call (719) 743-2444.


Provisional Ballot Status

To see the status of your provisional ballot go to or approximately 2 weeks after the election.

Register to vote at or pick up copy of the current registration form in person, ID required.

Precinct Map
School District Map

Get Adobe Reader


Campaign Finance (candidate revenue and expenditure reporting) is handled by the Colorado Secretary of State’s office at the link below.  Campaign Finance is a mandatory requirement according to state law and failure to file may result in heavy fines.  Candidates wishing to run for any public office (including school board, fire department, or other special district candidates) must submit their original, paper copy of the Candidate Affidavit to the Colorado Secretary of State using the TRACER electronic filing system.  Once received, the SOS will send an email confirmation to the candidate, along with a unique login and password.  All future reports must be filed electronically through the SOS.  Direct all questions to the Colorado Secretary of State’s campaign finance team at, or by calling (303) 894-2200 ext. 6383.

A copy of the Candidate Affidavit must be submitted to the County Clerk, along with the signed and notarized Candidate Acceptance and Designation and Declaration of Qualification form, which will ensure the candidate ballot access through the assembly process, by petition, or as a write-in candidate.  Obtain your Campaign and Political Finance 2019 County Filing Calendar here.


14-2-107 C.R.S. – Licenses to marry shall be issued by the county clerk and recorder only during the hours that the office of the county clerk and recorder is open as prescribed by law and at no other time, and such license shall show the exact date and hour of their issue.  A license shall not be valid for use outside the state of Colorado.  Within the state, such licenses shall not be valid for more than thirty-five days after the date of issue.  If any license to marry is not used within the thirty-five days, it is void and shall be returned to the county clerk and recorder for cancellation.

Applications for marriage and/or civil union certificates may be obtained at the Clerk’s office between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.  Licenses and certificates will not be issued after hours, or on weekends or holidays, so persons wishing to obtain a marriage license or civil union certificate must arrive by 4:00 p.m. during regular work days to ensure completion of the transaction.

  • Both parties must be present. Proof of Age (must be 18 or have parental consent for a marriage license or OVER 18 for a civil union certificate) and Social Security Number is required. A marriage license or civil union certificate will not be issued more than 35 days prior to the marriage or civil union ceremony. Previous divorce or dissolution dates and type of court through which obtained are also a requirement. Fee - $30.00

14-2-109 (2) (a) (IV) (b) C.R.S. – Proxy Marriage

(IV) (b)     If a party to a marriage is unable to be present for the solemnization, the absent party may authorize in writing a third person to act as the absent party’s proxy for purposes of solemnization of the marriage, if the absent party is:
(I)     A member of the armed forces of the United States who is stationed in another country or in another state in support of combat or another military operation; or
(II)     An individual who is a government contractor, or an employee of a government contractor, working in support of the armed forces of the United States or in support of United Stated military operations in another country or in another state and who supplies proper identification of that status.

The requirements for applying for a marriage license for a proxy marriage are the following: 

  1.  One party to the proxy marriage is a resident of the state of Colorado;
  2. One party to the proxy marriage appears in person to apply for the marriage license and pays the fees required in section 14-2-106 (I) C.R.S.;
  3. The signatures of both parties to the proxy marriage are required, and the party present shall sign the marriage license application, as prescribed in section 14-2-105 (2) C.R.S., and provide an absentee affidavit form, as prescribed by the state registrar, containing the notarized signature of the absent party, along with proper identification documents as specified in section 14-2-105 (1) (a) for the absent party.


  • For information regarding birth and death certificates, please contact the Public Health office at 719-743-2526.


Driver Examiner:  Tim Hilferty
See department link for further information.