County Clerk & Recorder
The goal of the Lincoln County Clerk and Recorder's Office is to deliver services to Lincoln County residents through the use of applicable Colorado legislation and Secretary of State Rule, and to do so in the most judicious, cost efficient, and secure manner possible, while treating them with courtesy and respect.
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m
719-743-2444 - Office
719-743-2524 - Fax
General Questions - firstname.lastname@example.org
103 3rd Avenue
PO Box 67
Hugo, CO 80821
Clerk & Recorder: Corinne M. Lengel
Chief Deputy County Clerk: Vicki Ware
Deputy County Clerk: Shawnee Dobbs
Deputy County Clerk: Lisa Crawford
Deputy County Clerk: Mindy Schifferns
Deputy County Clerk: Dawn Orona
Driver Examiner: Pete Holmstedt
The office of the Clerk and Recorder is responsible for the following departments:
This includes titling and licensing of all new or used motor vehicles and trailers, filing of liens on said vehicles and trailers, printing of duplicate titles, registration of Special Mobile Machinery (SMM), registration renewals, issuance of persons with disabilities parking permits (handicap placards and plates), and issuance of temporary permits.
- Proof of Insurance must be shown before vehicle registration will be issued.
- 2.9% state sales tax, 2% county sales tax and 2% Hugo or Limon resident city sales tax will be collected on all new motor vehicle and trailer purchases.
- All specialized license plates are not currently available. Fees according to plate type.
- Duplicate Title Fee - $8.20
- Chattel Mortgage Recording Fee
- $5.00 per page (letter or legal-sized paper)
- $20.00 total fee if larger than letter or legal-sized
- Colorado Dept. of Revenue
- Effective March 1, 2011:
C.R.S. 38-11-101 declares that multiple owners of vehicles must declare their intent to title the vehicle in Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship or Tenancy in Common. Every individual owner must acknowledge their choice and sign the new JOINT TENANCY WITH RIGHTS OF SURVIVORSHIP ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF INTENT form (DR 2395). The forms are available here or at the County Clerk’s office. Print and fill out the form with no erasures and submit it with your new title applications. If the DR2395 is not submitted, the title will be marked TENANCY IN COMMON. Call with questions.
- Calculate First-Time Registration Fee
HVUT (Heavy Vehicle Use Tax)
All vehicles over 8,000 pounds empty weight and all tractors must, by Federal law, declare a gross vehicle weight as a prerequisite to registration and/or renewal. If the GVW is 55,000 lbs. or more, compliance with the Federal HVUT must be attached to the county's renewal notice. Compliance may be either (1) Receipted copy of IRS Tax Form 2290/Schedule 1, or (2) IRS Tax Form 2290/Schedule 1 and photo copy of the front and back of the cancelled check to the IRS.
Documents relating to the sale and purchase of property, UCC Financing Statements, affidavits, oil and gas documents, marriage licenses, and DD214 – military discharge papers—are a few of the documents recorded in this office.
- Single page document; $11.00 recording fee. Multiple page documents; first page $11.00, following pages of document $5.00 each.
- UCC recording fees: $11.00 for documents consisting of one or two pages; $16.00 for documents consisting of three or more pages.
- Documents recorded on December 7, 1983 – Book 338, Page 001/Reception #282415 – and going forward may be accessed at http://www.theCountyRecorder.com.
- Copies of recorded documents are $0.25 per page. Copying done by office staff will be charged at $25.00 per hour, with a minimum charge of $12.50, in addition to the $0.25 per copy fee.
All Coordinated, Primary and General Elections are conducted by the Clerk and Recorder, including mail ballot elections.
Provisional Ballot Status
Register to vote at www.sos.state.co.us or pick up copy of the current registration form in person, ID required.
Campaign Finance (candidate revenue and expenditure reporting) is handled by the Colorado Secretary of State’s office at the link below. Campaign Finance is a mandatory requirement according to state law and failure to file may result in heavy fines. Candidates wishing to run for any public office (including school board, fire department, or other special district candidates) must submit their original, paper copy of the Candidate Affidavit to the Colorado Secretary of State using the TRACER electronic filing system. Once received, the SOS will send an email confirmation to the candidate, along with a unique login and password. All future reports must be filed electronically through the SOS. Direct all questions to the Colorado Secretary of State’s campaign finance team at email@example.com, or by calling (303) 894-2200 ext. 6383.
A copy of the Candidate Affidavit must be submitted to the County Clerk, along with the signed and notarized Candidate Acceptance and Designation and Declaration of Qualification form, which will ensure the candidate ballot access through the assembly process, by petition, or as a write-in candidate. Obtain your Campaign and Political Finance 2012 County Filing Calendar here.
MARRIAGE LICENSES and CIVIL UNION CERTIFICATES
Applications for marriage and/or civil union certificates may be obtained at the Clerk’s office between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Licenses and certificates will not be issued after hours, or on weekends or holidays, so persons wishing to obtain a marriage license or civil union certificate must arrive by 4:00 p.m. during regular work days to ensure completion of the transaction.
- Both parties must be present. Proof of Age (must be 18 or have parental consent for a marriage license or OVER 18 for a civil union certificate) and Social Security Number is required. A marriage license or civil union certificate will not be issued more than 35 days prior to the marriage or civil union ceremony. Previous divorce or dissolution dates and type of court through which obtained are also a requirement. Fee - $30.00
REGISTRAR OF VITAL STATISTICS
- For information regarding birth and death certificates, please contact the Public Health office at 719-743-2526.
Driver Examiner: Pete Holmstedt
See department link for further information.
KEY WEB LINKS